Endless Summer Grilling. The Recipes from America's Test Kitchen. Download your copy here!> download now (2MB)
Tips and advice about our products, interesting facts that will help improve your lifestyle.> more details
Check out the latest promotions, offers and savings on DCS appliances.> more details
Flip though the latest brochures on-line or download them.> more details
Join us regularly for enticing recipes and savor the taste and adventure of your next meal.> more details
Be a guest at the DCS dinner table and receive our newsletter for fantastic recipes, cooking tips, and exclusive incentives.> more details
Charlie Palmer's Chicken Roasted Over Bacon-Sourdough Dressing
Serves 4 to 6
For stuffing: 12-inch skillet over medium low heat. For baking: 8 X 13 inch ovenproof baking dish
Jointing a bird and roasting it atop the dressing provides the best of both worlds: you get the flavor from the roasting juices absorbed into the bread dressing (as though you stuffed the bird) and you also get moist and tender meat because you don't have to overcook the bird in order to cook the stuffing.
- 6 ounces mildly smoked slab bacon, sliced ¼-inch thick (about 4 thick strips)
- 2 cups diced red onion
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Bell's poultry seasoning
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 1 loaf country-style bread, cut into 1-inch cubes and lightly toasted (about 10 cups)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1 chicken (about 3 pounds), cut into eight parts (2 wings, legs, thighs, and breast sections).
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat, cook the bacon until golden brown and crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in the onion and celery, and add the salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning and cook until vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer, immediately turning off the heat so the stock doesn't reduce. Let stand for 5 minutes so the flavors infuse. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and let cool so the eggs can be added without scrambling. When the seasoning mix has cooled, add the eggs and stir to incorporate. Add croutons and Italian parsley and fold to combine. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes so the bread can fully absorb the liquid. Loosely pack the dressing into an 8 by 13-inch ovenproof baking dish.
- Season the chicken pieces on both sides with salt and pepper, and press into dressing, skin side up. Brush skin lightly with vegetable oil and roast in preheated oven until skin is crispy brown and chicken is cooked through, about 45 to 50 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.