> download now (21MB)
Tips and advice about our products, interesting facts that will help improve your lifestyle.> more details
Check out the latest promotions, offers and savings on DCS appliances.> more details
Flip though the latest brochures on-line or download them.> more details
Join us regularly for enticing recipes and savor the taste and adventure of your next meal.> more details
Be a guest at the DCS dinner table and receive our newsletter for fantastic recipes, cooking tips, and exclusive incentives.> more details
Roasted Red Onion and Pear Salad
Why this recipe works:
In this Roasted Red Onion and Pear Salad recipe, we found that browning the onions in a hot oven until softened and browned tempered their strong flavor. Dried thyme tasted dusty and bland, so we prefer fresh chopped thyme in the recipe. Regular almonds will do in a pinch, but smokehouse almonds, or salted, smoked almonds, added valuable flavor to the Roasted Red Onion and Pear Salad recipe.
NOTE: Keep this salad fresh (and the pears from turning brown) by tossing the chopped pears with a couple of teaspoons of lemon juice.
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch wedges, with root end intact
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, leaves separated but left whole
- 1 (6-ounce) bag baby spinach (about 8 cups)
- 1 ripe pear, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/3 cup smokehouse almonds, chopped coarse
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk orange and lemon juices, mustard, honey, and thyme together in medium bowl. Gradually whisk in 4 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss onion wedges with remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Transfer to baking sheet and roast until brown and soft, 25 minutes, flipping wedges halfway through cooking. Cool 15 minutes.